Hardcover Picture Book
Published by G.P. Putnam's Sons
Illustrated by E.B. Lewis
Tosh loves his grandma Honey and her delicious golden tea cakes. When she tells the story of how the cookies became part of their family, he feels like he's flying back in time. But then one day, Honey starts forgetting things, even an ingredient for the tea cakes. Inspired by his love for his grandma and respect for his family's heritage, Tosh finds a way to give Honey and himself a gift that keeps the memory alive.
Author note: Growing up, I loved hanging out with my grandma. One of my favorite memories is helping her make tea cakes. Our relationship inspired this book.
More about Tea Cakes for Tosh . . .
- Try the tea cake recipe (Kids, ALWAYS get permission and help from a parent or guardian.)
- Buy individually-wrapped tea cakes from the Texas Tea Cake Company here. Learn more about the family-owned bakery here.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) Award for Juvenile Literature (sponsored by the North Carolina division of AAUW)
- Visit The Tea Cake Roundup to check out a cool treasury of tea cake memories and delicious recipes compiled by Elbert Mackey. Wonderful book!
- Check out two articles that explore the history of tea cakes and efforts to share them with a new generation - here and here.
Just 4 Kids
- Printable - Tea Cakes for Tosh Word Search
- Printable - Tea Cake Maze
- Printable - Tea Cakes for Tosh Hidden Message